Sunday, October 30, 2011

Lemon Tree Update

It's been a month since I started trying a new watering, sun & fertilizing regiment to try to get my lemon tree to boom.  After doing some research ...
  • Brought the lemon tree inside and placed it in a room with Southern exposure - giving it optimal light for the majority of the day.
  • Started watering just once a week, however when I water, I am giving the plant 1.5 to 2 liters at a time, which provides a deep soaking so that the roots are getting enough water.
  • I started a fertilizing regiment where it received Citrus-tone every 30 days.  Normally it is recommended to fertilize 3 times a year but several people mentioned blooming success when using a more aggressive fertilizing schedule.
After kicking all this off at the end of September, I was pretty wary about how the plant would fair.  In mid-October, I left on a business trip with instructions to my husband to water our lemon tree just once a week, but make sure it give it a good watering.  When I returned home 10 days later, I was shocked to see that our lemon tree was budding!


While this is very exciting, it's a long road from buds to blooms to fruit.  From start to ripened fruit can take 3-4 months.  However Meyer Lemon trees can begin to produce 10+ lemons per cycle as early as their third year of fruit bearing.  Our tree is in its second year.

So the trick is to keep things rolling, the most important things to remember at this point are good light and not to over water.  While it's important that the tree get a deep watering, it's also important to not over water (especially with a potted indoor plant during the winter).  Too much water could lead to roots being surrounded by too much water, causing rotting.  Sun light is also critical, in order to produce fruit the plant ideally needs 8 hours of solid sun a day.  Right now the plant has been receiving that but I am thinking of purchasing a growing light to ensure it is definitely getting enough for the next few months until it can go back outside for spring and summer.

To see the full album of our lemon tree photos visit my Flickr page.


No comments:

Post a Comment